Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey sold his first tweet as an NFT (non-fungible token) for over $2,9 million. It was acquired by Sina Estavi, CEO of blockchain company Bridge Oracle, who offered the highest bid of $2,5 million on March 6. The winner himself raised his bid to a specific amount at the last moment of the auction.

Dorsey put his tweet up for digital auction on March 5. Bets were processed on the Valuables by Cent platform, allowing people to trade tweets signed by their authors. Buyers receive a special certificate signed by the author of the message.

The stakes on Dorsey's laconic opening tweet from March 21, 2006, have risen sharply. He announced that he would complete the auction by the 15th anniversary of the tweet.

Estavi paid 1,630.5825601 ETH for the tweet. The head of Twitter got 95% of this amount, and the remaining 5% went to Valuables by Cent as a commission.

Dorsey said he would convert the amount into bitcoins and donate them to GiveDirectly, which operates in Africa. It is a charitable organization that gives money to people living below the poverty line.

The most expensive NFT sold so far is the work of the artist Beeple (Mike Winkelmann). The token of the work The First 5000 Days was sold for $69 million.